Organization: Survivors of Abuse Recovering – S.O.A.R.
Position: Coordinator, temporary, part-time
(Position is to commence as soon as suitable candidate is found)
S.O.A.R. is a community-based, volunteer run program for adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse. S.O.A.R. offers peer counselling services, support services and public education and is currently seeking a part time coordinator to support these efforts. The successful candidate would report directly to the Board and would offer broad based coordination for the organization in the following areas; peer counseling services, office management, Board support, peer and public education, membership services, fund raising and public relations.
- Minimum grade 12 with post secondary education r/t office management or community development preferred. (could be degree, diploma or certificate)
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills.
- Proven interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proven ability to develop effective working relationships.
- Ability to interface positively with the public (consumers, stakeholders, media, general inquiries).
- Demonstrated understanding of the concerns and issues of survivors of childhood sexual abuse.
- Commitment to and an understanding of community-based programming.
- Commitment to professionalism.
- Ability to be flexible and self-directed a must.
- Demonstrated experience working with a nonprofit organization in some capacity, for example administration, board member.
- Demonstrated experience with basic data input and review.
- Demonstrated experience with office functions including telephone, filing
- Demonstrated competencies in communication, customer focus, initiative, professional attitude, problem solving, knowledge of peer counseling, accountability, office skills, and cultural safety.
- Familiarity with Microsoft office applications.
- Experience in the Mental Health field and/or direct experience with adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse preferred.
- Experience working with community-based volunteers an asset.
Salary: $15:00 per hour; 7 hours per week
Apply to: Mardi Burton
Closing Date: Friday November 18, 2016
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
JOB DESCRIPTION FOR S.O.A.R. COORDINATOR
The S.O.A.R. coordinator provides coordination in all areas of the organization including peer counseling services, peer and public education, membership services, fund raising and public relations. This position is intended to enhance the functioning of S.O.A.R. as a volunteer based peer counseling organization and to ensure organizational integrity and accountability.
Coordination of the peer counseling service including but not limited to the following duties:
- Accept referrals by phone, in person or on paper, discuss with client their peer counseling needs, match client with a peer counselor and provide follow up to ensure the appropriate services have been arranged in a timely manner for each referral.
- Explain S.O.A.R. services to potential peer clients and members
- Maintain accurate list of peer counselors, including who is on leave or active, education and training completed, years of services, criminal records checks etc.
- Maintain confidential peer client list
- Monitor and revise referral processes to ensure that referrals are dealt with in a timely and supportive manner
- Monitor peer counseling data is collected to maintain and enhance organizational integrity and accountability
- Ensure peer counselors understand the purpose and requirements for data collection related peer counseling activities
- Maintain data collection system, input data, and revise as needed.
Coordination of SOAR office:
Maintain positive relationship with Open Arms leadership and staff
- Ensure safety, tidiness and organization of S.O.A.R. office
- Maintain relevant computer distribution lists
- Maintain S.O.A.R. financial records
- Receive and address S.O.A.R. correspondence as required
Coordination of activities of Board of Directors:
- Serve as S.O.A.R. treasurer and secretary
- Attend S.O.A.R. Board of Directors meetings
- In collaboration with Chair, create and circulate meeting agenda and minutes for monthly Board meeting
Coordination of membership services including but not limited to the following duties:
- Assist with peer counselor and Board member recruitment
- Send membership fee notices to members annually
Assistance with member and public education events, not limited to the following duties:
- Collaborate with peer counseling committee, and membership at large, to determine education requirements of members
- Assist in the planning, organizing and delivery of education events as required
- Maintain a list of internal education and external public education events offered
- Circulate information about internal and external education events to members
- Ensure appropriate evaluation data is collected
Assistance with fund raising would include including, not limited to the following duties:
- Identify fund raising opportunities to the Fundraising Committee
- Assist in the preparation of grant applications as able
- Assist in the planning and organizing of funding events such as ticket sales and art auctions
Assistance with public relations would include including but not limited to the following duties:
- Collaborate with public relations committee chair to identify relevant public relations activities and opportunities.
- Canvass membership to obtain member volunteers to speak about SOAR relevant events
- Act as a liaison between S.O.A.R. and other organizations
The coordinator reports to the Board of Directors of S.O.A.R. This is currently a 1 year term position to be reviewed annually.